As of 1st September 2017, Kenya announced the move to introduce new digitized passports which will contain a small chip. The chip stores all personal information and a digital photo and this move is aimed at curbing forgery and easing clearance at international airports.
It’s important to note that individuals traveling within the East African region only need a temporary passport. Those traveling outside the East African region must however follow the below procedure in applying for the new e-passport.
You can apply for, renew or replace your passport and pay for it online. You’ll however have to print out a form at the end. You must sign and date the form, add any documents or photographs that are needed, and return it for processing.
You can pay using mobile money, credit and debit cards and online banking from local banks. It should take at least 10 working days to get your first passport once your form has been physically submitted at the Immigration offices. For all other application types, it should take atleast 5 working days. It can take longer if more information is needed or your application hasn’t been filled out correctly.
- Register on www.ecitizen.go.ke
- Go to immigration.ecitizen.go.ke and or Department of immigration services and click on the passport application form.
- Read the instructions carefully then fill the application form.
- Select the mode of payment and pay for the passport fees.
- Download and print the application form and three application receipts.
- Submit the application form in person to the Immigration offices.( Nyayo house, Mombasa & Kisumu.)
During the submission you will need:
An eCitizen pre-filled passport application form and three receipts.
- Original birth certificate and photocopy.
- Original National ID Card & copy.
- Three Current passport size photos.
- Recommender’s ID Card copy.
- Consent letter for minors.
- Old passport for replacement.
- Parents National ID cards and copy.
|PASSPORT TYPE||Fee (Kshs)|
|32 Pages Ordinary “A” Series||Kshs. 4,550|
|48 pages Ordinary “B” Series||Kshs. 6,050|
|64 Pages Ordinary “C” Series||Kshs. 7,550|
|East African Passport||Kshs. 990|
|Diplomatic passport (48 page)||Kshs 7,550|
|Mutilated Passport||Kshs 10,050|
|Lost Passport||Kshs 12,050|